Note: Due to COVID-19, many training opportunities are moving online and on-demand. Our Training Opportunities page features a list of offerings organized by provider.
To help build and operate buildings safely, B.C. has published COVID-19 Resources for Building Construction and Operations.
For other COVID-19 information, visit B.C.’s COVID-19 support and information page.
- This event has passed.
ONLINE 320: Comparing Passive House with B.C. and national codes.
August 27, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
This 2-hour, online course will compare and contrast the proposed National Energy Code with the BC Energy Step Code, Passive House, and others. With proposed changes coming nationally and provincially, it will be important for all industry professionals and builders to understand the key differences between the standards and the metrics that they reference. Each of the standards will drive us to design and build in different ways. Some of our traditional design and construction strategies may need updates or rethinking to ensure homes are passing the new code minimums. In particular, the expected outcomes of each standard must be understood to allow clients and government to make better choices.
- Basic understanding of how each standard is calculated.
- Understand the basic differences between Passive House, National Energy Code, BC Energy Step Code.
- Understand the basic differences in outcomes for each of the standards.
- Be able to articulate those differences to others.
- Passive House Designers and Consultants
- Builders, architects, architectural technologist and engineers
- Building officials and planners
- Anyone interested in the subject
There are no prerequisites
The instructor for this course is Mark Bernhardt.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
Total number of learning hours: 2
AIBC Core Learning Units: 2 Core LUs (based on attendance of live course)
BC Housing (HPO) Training Hours: 2
PHI Credit points: seeking accreditation