Compliance Tools for Part 3 Buildings
Part 3 Energy Design Report (beta)
The Part 3 Energy Design Report is a voluntary Excel-based tool that can be used by energy modellers and design professionals as a checklist and submitted to local government authorities to verify compliance with the BC Energy Step Code.
The tool gives industry and local authorities a consistent way to gather and review modelled energy performance characteristics of Part 3 Step Code buildings at both the pre-construction and as-built stages in a similar way to the Part 9 Energy Compliance Reports, but tailored to the energy performance characteristics of larger buildings.
Unlike the Part 9 Energy Compliance Reports, the Part 3 Report can be used with any version of the BC Energy Step Code (which forms part of the BC Building Code).
The Part 3 Energy Design Report is for buildings containing major occupancies complying with Subsection 10.2.3. of the BC Building Code. It is intended to capture the requirements of Articles 126.96.36.199. and 188.8.131.52. of Division C of the BC Building Code, as well as local government bylaw requirements for energy use and emissions reductions in buildings. Portions of the building that are subject to Subsection 10.2.2.1.(1)(a) or (b) of Division B of the BC Building Code should also be included in the report.
The form should not be used for projects complying entirely under Subsection 10.2.2.1.(1)(a) or (b) of Division B of the BC Building Code.
When and How to Use the Report
Instructions are contained in the report. Not all sections apply to all buildings, so read the instructions carefully. This report may be used for any of the development review stages of larger buildings:
- Pre-Application or Application
- Rezoning Application
- Development Permit
- Building Permit
Download the Beta Version of the Design Report
- Download the Part 3 Energy Design Report (Excel) Beta Version (updated July 9, 2020)
Please send user feedback to the Building and Safety Standards Branch at email@example.com for consideration in future revisions.
Learn to Use the Report
The Building and Safety Standards Branch is coordinating free webinars to help users of the report.
- Webinar #1 is tailored for building energy modellers and will be offered twice
- The webinar will summarize the features of the checklist and how to complete it
- First webinar July 30, 2020 with the second to follow
- A recorded version and tip sheet will be available for anyone unable to attend the live session
- Webinar #2 is tailored for local government staff and will be offered once
- The webinar will summarize how to review the completed checklist to confirm that the modelled level of performance has been met, and how to review the completed checklist for purposes of compliance
- Date to come
- Visit the Events Calendar to learn more and register
Page last updated: July 8, 2020.