The BC Energy Step Code Events Calendar is no longer being updated. Please visit the BC Green Building Event Calendar instead.
- This event has passed.
Webinar: 120B: Understanding and Working with the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP)
April 22, 2020 @ 9:00 am to April 24, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
120B: Understanding and Working with the Passive House Planning Package (PHPP)
As the situation with COVID-19 (“coronavirus”) progresses, our in-class courses are now being offered through an online, live webinar format. With this shift, we plan to increase the accessibility of our training, as well as facilitate the sharing of ideas in our community online.
We have divided the course into 6 sections (4 hours/day) with a 30 minute break between each session. Should you be unable to attend these dates, the webinars will be recorded to still provide you the valuable learning tools.
Wednesday, April 22- Friday April 24, 2020 – 9am to 1pm (PST) each day
Thursday April 30- Saturday May 2, 2020- 9am to 1pm (PST) each day
Understanding and Working with PHPP will enable you to take on your first Passive House project. It provides step-by-step instruction for using the PHPP energy modelling software, which is essential for designing a Passive House building.
Participants will learn the structure, inputs and outputs of PHPP, and how to select appropriate climate data sets and record building measurements. The course includes modelling a sample Canadian project, where participants will assess building heat loss, energy demand and summertime overheating risk, as well as looking at the reliability of data sources and how design decisions impact the building energy demand.
- Introduction and overview of PHPP, treated floor areas and U-values for assemblies
- Heat loss areas and thermal bridging calculations
- Ground calculations and energy implications
- Window components and inputs, shading, ventilation volumes and airflow
- Heating demand and load, summer cooling requirements and ventilation
- Domestic hot water energy, electrical and other energy demands, renewable energy (PER)
- Those who will be directly involved in the design, construction and energy modelling of Passive House buildings, including architects, engineers and design professionals.
- Anyone pursuing the Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant designation
Learning resources provided
- PHPP demonstration files
- Digital copy of course slides
Prerequisites/required knowledge and equipment/software
- 120A: Passive House Design and Construction, or equivalent
- Laptop with Microsoft Excel or equivalent installed (PHPP is Excel based), mouse recommended
- Area measurement software such as Autodesk Design Review (free) or Bluebeam Revu (free trial)
- Although PHPP demonstration files will be provided for use during the course, we recommend you purchase the PHPP software prior to attending the course. The PHPP manual is provided with the purchase of the software and is useful in understanding all of the features. In addition, individuals wishing to write the Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant Exam are required to supply a valid PHPP registration number on the exam registration form. If you do not yet own a copy of PHPP, one can be purchased from our website here. Please allow at least one week for shipping.
Total number of learning hours: 21
AIBC Core Learning Units: 19.5
PIBC Organized & Structured CPL Units: 19.5
BC Housing (HPO) Training Hours: 21.00
EGBC credits: self-reported
If insufficient registrations are received by 14 days before this course is scheduled to start, it may be canceled. While we do our best to plan our course schedule well in advance, course dates, venues and instructors are subject to change.