- This event has passed.
Passive House Trades Course – Vancouver (BCIT)
December 10, 2018 @ 8:00 am to December 14, 2018 @ 4:00 pm
It is essential that those working on Passive House buildings can properly install components, accurately implement design details, and also assess the impact that changes from planned work will have on the performance of the building. Mistakes during construction can be costly, especially in high performance buildings where certification is being pursued.
This five-day course teaches practical Passive House building techniques alongside theory, and prepares participants for the Certified Passive House Tradesperson exam. It is delivered as a combination of in-class lectures and hands-on workshop experience, incorporating actual building of Passive House details relevant to the Canadian construction industry. Topics covered:
- Passive House criteria and principles
- Building ecology, comfort and economic efficiency
- Introduction to Passive House design tools (e.g. PHPP)
- Construction process and quality assurance
- Thermal insulation
- Thermal bridge-free construction
- Windows and airtightness
- Ventilation and heat supply
- Building envelope specialization
Please note: This course teaches the skills and knowledge required for the Certified Passive House Tradesperson – Building Envelope Specialization exam. We do not currently offer the curriculum necessary for the Certified Passive House Tradesperson – Building Services Specialization exam.
- Tradespeople, site supervisors and general contractors who will be involved in the construction of Passive House building.
- It may also be of interest to designers, architects, architectural technologists and developers. All theoretical components of this course are covered in 120A: Passive House Design & Construction.
Participants should have prior knowledge/experience in the construction industry or related fields.