- This event has passed.
Passive House 120A: Design & Construction
June 11, 2020 @ 9:00 am to June 14, 2020 @ 1:00 pm
One event on June 11, 2020 at 9:00 am
Monday, June 1- Thursday June 4, 2020 – 9 am to 1 pm (PST) each day
Thursday Jun 11- Sunday June 14, 2020- 9 am to 1 pm (PST) each day
If you are interested in taking one of our courses, but need some payment flexibility, we can help. You can now pay 50% of the course fee when you register and the balance within 45 days. Email us to inquire at email@example.com
120A: Passive House Design and Construction covers the technical, economic and policy elements of Passive House buildings. Participants will learn how to apply Passive House principles in the context of building physics, windows and mechanical systems. Numerous case studies, both domestic and international, will be used to demonstrate current best practices and teach concepts of cost assessment. Participants will also have the opportunity to solidify their learning with interactive exercises throughout the course.
120A can be taken as a standalone course even if you don’t intend to write the Certified Passive House Designer/Consultant Exam. If you intend to write the exam we strongly recommend you take 120A, 120B and 120C prior to writing the exam.
- Building science and energy use, overview of Passive House principles
- In-depth look at insulation and airtightness design and construction techniques
- Thermal bridging principles, elimination of thermal bridges through better design and construction
- Window placement and construction, window components and efficiency
- Ventilation system design principles, components, distribution and operation
- Heating and cooling a Passive House building, design principles, components, distribution and operation
- Economics of Passive House design and construction, cost and risk reduction, marketability
- Quality assurance and testing
- Building certification process
Building industry professionals and individuals who are going to be involved in the design and construction of Passive House buildings or EnerPHit (retrofit) projects, including: architects, engineers, design professionals, site supervisors, general contractors, building inspectors, city planners, homeowners, investors and suppliers of high performance building materials that may be used in Passive House construction.
Prerequisites / required background knowledge
There are no prerequisites for this course, however it will be assumed that the participants can read blueprints and have a basic understanding of construction terminology. This course does include some use of mathematical formulas.
Please note: 110: Introduction to Passive House High Performance Buildings is not required to take this course.
Learning resources provided
- Digital copy of course slides
Total number of learning hours: 30
BC Housing (HPO): 30 Informal
AIBC: 30 Core Learning Units
AAA webinar credits: self-reported
APEG credits: self-reported
ARIDO credits: self-reported
OPPI credits: self-reported
EGBC credits: self-reported
If insufficient registrations are received by 14 days before this course is scheduled to start, it may be canceled. While we do our best to plan our course schedule well in advance, course dates, venues and instructors are subject to change.