The BC Energy Step Code Events Calendar is no longer being updated. Please visit the BC Green Building Event Calendar instead.
- This event has passed.
CESA 1500 – Passive House Tradesperson Course – Building Envelope Specialization
February 10, 2020 @ 4:00 pm to February 15, 2020 @ 12:00 am
BCIT / City of Vancouver
In cooperation with BCIT’s School of Construction and the Environment, the City of Vancouver is giving skilled builders and tradespersons in their communities the opportunity to take this course on Passive House construction at a reduced cost. This five-day course provides the knowledge and practical hands-on skills that building contractors, designers, consultants and advanced students need to build to the Passive House standard; an internationally recognized ultra-low energy standard. This course focuses on building enclosure optimization and provides a foundation in passive house principles, while stressing the importance of construction fundamentals and proper sequencing and using a variety of materials. An introduction to heat and energy recovery ventilators will be provided. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the climate-independent functional definition of a Passive House and the principles it is based on.
- Define Passive House principles: highly insulating envelope, thermal bridge free construction, airtightness, windows and solar gains, ventilation with heat recovery.
- Evaluate Passive House criteria; heating load, cooling load, annual space heating demand, annual space cooling demand, airtightness, annual primary energy demand, frequency of overheating.
- Describe Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) and other planning principles.
- Apply knowledge of the specific technical function of Passive House principles to an understanding of the building enclosure’s design and its energy efficient performance as a whole through the development of building envelope assemblies and details.
- Apply principles of airtightness in the Passive House:
- Execute correct application of airtight and moisture resistant membranes and tapes in wood-frame wall assemblies.
- Participate in blower door airtightness testing and air leakage assessment.
- Apply principles of Passive House windows:
- Demonstrate correct installation and integration of windows into the wall assembly.
- Apply U-value calculation in an assessment of overall energy performance of the building.
- Monday, February 10 – Friday, February 14, 2020 – 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Monday March 30 – Friday April 3: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
To request to be added to a wait-list for possible future courses, please contact Ann Martineau at the details provided below. Please be certain to mention if you are being sponsored by a company or organization in order for us to provide you with the appropriate forms.
British Columbia Institute of Technology Industry Services