- This event has passed.
Building Smart with Airtightness Testing: Building Preparation
May 28, 2019 @ 9:00 am to 12:00 pm$80
Why do we need to prepare the building for airtightness testing? What does this involve? Are there guidance and tips?
Potential heat loss due to air leakage through an enclosure with moderate or poor airtightness has a significant and measurable impact on the required heating energy for a building. An enclosure that has good or exceptional airtightness can provide major energy savings.
Building codes require that building enclosures include continuous air barriers; the integrity of those air barriers can only be measured with an airtightness test. Airtightness testing is typically carried out using blower fans to pressurize and depressurize the building to measure the overall building airtightness.
This half-day workshop is the second in the “Building Smart with Airtightness Testing” series, and is of interest to builders, developers, designers, energy advisors, and building officials. This workshop will cover:
- Quick recap of Part 3 and Part 9 requirements and practice
- Why do we need to prepare the building for airtightness testing
- Planning, scheduling and preparation steps
- Preparing mechanical, plumbing and electrical openings
- Readiness of air barrier and building enclosure
- Power and HVAC conditions
- Common issues, checklist and tips
- Case studies