The BC Energy Step Code Events Calendar is no longer being updated. Please visit the BC Green Building Event Calendar instead.
- This event has passed.
Building Science Forum
February 27, 2018 @ 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Why are we here- connections to Building Code, Step Code, green building programs, market niches, etc.
What is Building Science:
- House as a System: heat/air/moisture and interrelations
- The envelope, environmental separation and protecting it from damage (mainly moisture)
- Unintended consequences and avoiding issues (increasing thermal resistance, vapour barrier materials, moisture-sensitive materials, in attention to air tightness
- 4 barrier systems (criteria and examples):
- Climate – Specific Design:
- Building for the environment
- Section 9.36 requirements based on climate
- Keeping moisture out
- Dew Point
- Barrier Systems Applications – Materials and Techniques:
- Polyethylene Sheeting air barrier
- Exterior foam insulation
- Airtight Drywall Approach
- Housewrap air barrier 4
- Spray foam
- Mixing and matching different systems
- Foundation Systems:
- Moisture Barriers
- Insulation Options
- Location of air barrier and vapour barrier
- Air Leakage Air Tightness:
- How tight is too tight?
- Need for air: ventilation, make up, combustion
- Ventilation Standards: Section 9.32 and F326
- Mechanical Systems:
- Space heating: options and right sizing/best practices
- Domestic hot water heating: options and heat recovery
- Ventilations: options
- Sizing, installation, commissioning and homeowner education
- Leveraging Synergies/Benefits
- Best System to meet R value?
- Capturing multiple benefits: right sizing equipment
- Case Studies:
- 2 case studies: renovation and new house