The BC Energy Step Code Events Calendar is no longer being updated. Please visit the BC Green Building Event Calendar instead.
- This event has passed.
Building Better with the Energy Step Code
January 24, 2018 @ 7:45 am
Maple Ridge Building Better is a training and engagement initiative of the City of Maple Ridge that will prepare the development community for implementation of the BC Energy Step Code. This workshop: Building Better with the Energy Step Code includes an introduction to the Energy Step Code, hands on training focused on building envelope and air sealing in above grade wall assemblies, and high efficiency mechanical systems and ventilation.
Hosted by Community Energy Association, this workshop draws on the expertise of two speakers: Hamid Heidarali and Corry Martin, both instructors at the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT). Hamid teaches building science with a focus on building envelope and has constructed a series of demonstration wall assemblies that will be used in the workshop to explore approaches to energy performance, moisture management, and durability. Corry is an instructor with Thermal Environmental Comfort Association (TECA) and will present about energy efficient mechanical systems with a focus on ventilation and heat recovery ventilators.
Workshop participants will learn about the differences between conventional and performance based wall design, considerations for air sealing, insulation, moisture management, window installation, right-sizing mechanical systems and ventilation. This will be an opportunity to better understand the flexibility of the performance pathway in the Building Code, and to explore different approaches to maximizing energy performance, durability, and home comfort. Demonstration wall assemblies and a sample ventilation unit will be used to explore the benefits and drawbacks of different approaches, and will offer a great opportunity for a conversation with Hamid and Corry about what is applicable and achievable in Maple Ridge.
Participating builders are eligble for 7 CPD points towards annual BC Housing requirements. Attendance for the entire day is required to obtain the 7 CPD points. We are able to keep the registration fee low due to a funding contribution from BC Hydro.
- 7:45 AM: Arrive and Coffee/Refreshments, Welcome by Stephen Cote-Rolvink, Chief Building Inspector, City of Maple Ridge)
- 8:00 AM: Introduction to the Energy Step Code (Maya Chorobik, Community Energy Association)
- 8:15 AM: Hands-on Workshop with a Holistic Perspective: Above Grade Walls and Glazing Assemblies Part 1 (Hamid Heidarali)
- 10:15 AM: Break
- 10:30 AM: Hands-on Workshop with a Holistic Perspective: Above Grade Walls and Glazing Assemblies Part 2
- 12:30 PM: Lunch (provided)
- 1:30 PM: Energy Efficient Mechanical Systems and Ventilation (Corry Martin)
- 3:15 PM: Break
- 3:25 PM: Integrating with Energy Step Code: How energy performance will integrate with building code (Maya Chorobik)
- 3:45 PM: Wrap up and Q&A (Maya Chorobik and Stephen Cote-Rolvink)
- 4:00 PM: Close