- This event has passed.
200: Building Enclosures for High Performance Buildings – Victoria – 2019 Oct 04
October 4, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Course offered by Passive House Canada.
Thermally efficient, airtight and durable building enclosure designs have evolved from existing North American practices with the introduction of many new materials to the local market in recent years. These materials include air barrier systems, improved tapes and sealants, thermally efficient cladding supports and unique fasteners, along with higher performing fenestration and insulation products. Many prefabricated building enclosure systems have also been developed and successfully integrated into recent projects.
This full-day course provides an in-depth discussion of high-performance building enclosures for North American buildings, including single-family homes and large commercial buildings, with a focus on walls, roofs and window systems. Numerous case studies will be presented to demonstrate how innovative building enclosures have been integrated into various projects ranging from mid-rise wood frame buildings and prefabricated Passive House buildings, to towering wood, concrete and steel structures. Topics covered:
- Introduction to the requirements and design principles for Passive House building enclosure assemblies and details
- Evaluation of exterior insulation cladding supports and details to minimize thermal bridging, along with the tested real-world performance of new air barrier materials and systems
- Durable, highly insulated roof and roof deck assemblies and review of roofing material selection and problematic detailing
- High-performance glazing systems and efficient, durable glazing products and window assemblies that meet North American and European standards.
- Passive House Designers and Consultants
- Builders, architects, architectural technologist and engineers
- Building officials and planners