Note: Due to COVID-19, many training opportunities are moving online and on-demand. Our Training Opportunities page features a list of offerings organized by provider.
To help build and operate buildings safely, B.C. has published COVID-19 Resources for Building Construction and Operations.
For other COVID-19 information, visit B.C.’s COVID-19 support and information page.
- This event has passed.
120B: Understanding & Working with PHPP – Victoria Nov 1-3, 2019
November 1, 2019 @ 9:00 am - November 3, 2019 @ 5:00 pm
Understanding and Working with PHPP will enable you to take on your first Passive House project. It provides step-by-step instruction for using the PHPP energy modelling software, which is essential for designing a Passive House building.
Participants will learn the structure, inputs and outputs of PHPP, and how to select appropriate climate data sets and record building measurements. The course includes modelling a sample Canadian project, where participants will assess building heat loss, energy demand and summertime overheating risk, as well as looking at the reliability of data sources and how design decisions impact the building energy demand.
- Introduction and overview of PHPP, treated floor areas and U-values for assemblies
- Heat loss areas and thermal bridging calculations
- Ground calculations and energy implications
- Window components and inputs, shading, ventilation volumes and airflow
- Heating demand and load, summer cooling requirements and ventilation
- Domestic hot water energy, electrical and other energy demands, renewable energy (PER)